Slick Swans batter Blues

KIERAN O’Dwyer booted seven goals in Stratford’s big win over Orbost-Snowy Rovers during round 11 of East Gippsland football.

The Swans booted six goals to the Blues’ one behind in the first term and were never headed on the way to a 166-point thumping, 29.18 (192) to 4.2 (26).

The Blues were most competitive in the second term, with Darren Vickery and Curtley Nettleton each booting two goals, but still lost the quarter as the Swans managed six goals of their own to take a 53 point lead into half-time.

The Swans were ruthless in the second half, adding eight goals in the third quarter to kill the contest before managing another nine majors in the final term to add to an already healthy percentage.

Leading goal kicker Josh Kiss was kept to just one major, but it made little difference to the result as the Blues only managed one behind in the second half as the Swans ran rampant.

Stratford has proven time and again this season if one key forward is well held, another will stand up and this was the case on Saturday, with Kieran O’Dwyer back to his imposing best to finish with seven majors.

Despite Stephen Zappelli winning the ruck duels in the middle, the Swans midfield proved adept at reading his every move. David McLay and Corey Scholtes were instrumental in winning several clearances for Stratford and when not hitting O’Dwyer lace out, the Swans midfielders were kicking majors themselves.

Lachie Channing proved too quick for his opponents, often breaking away and hitting the scoreboard to good effect, finishing with four majors in another best afield effort. Joel Brayshaw made a welcome return with four goals, while Jarryd Clohesy showed he is back to his best after struggling with injury this season, also booting four majors.

Taylor Tatterson, Jack Bacon and Rod O’Keefe were also lively across half-forward, each booting two goals to be among 11 individual goal scorers for the Swans.

Nick Channing also provided good drive, while mobile tall Lachie Heywood was also influential.

Enduring a season of woe, the damage would have been greater for Orbost-Snowy had it not been for a competitive second term, with the Blues only managing two behinds across the remaining three quarters.

Returning from suspension, coach Michael Delaney led from the front for Orbost-Snowy, and will be hoping the Blues can string together some consistent four quarter efforts similar to what they managed in the second term to take some positives from what has been a tough season.

Hamish Nettleton and Aaron Hambling battled hard and show promise.

LINDENOW hit its straps after quarter-time to record a big win over Lucknow and maintain second spot on the ladder.

Leading by just seven points at quarter-time, the Cats pulled away in the second term to create a handy buffer on the way to an 86-point victory, 23.14 (152) to 10.6 (66).

Kicking into the wind in the first quarter, the Cats made the most of the opportunities to edge the Magpies before taking full advantage with seven goals to take a handy 45-point lead into half-time.

The Cats were clever in the third term, carrying the ball to finish with 5.5 from several forward thrusts.

While the Magpies managed four goals in the third term, the Cats ran away with it, booting eight goals to three in the final quarter. Lindenow now enjoys a healthy percentage gap to its rivals below it.

The Cats forwards were all on song, with Jordan Grumley, Darren Allen, Nathan Storer and Matt Busch managing 14 goals between them from 10 individual goal scorers.

Paul Gould, Justin Blair, David Donchi and Will Blackley amassed possessions in the midfield, while Morgan Davies cut off many Magpie attacks across half-back.

Shaun Ryan booted four goals for the Magpies, while Brent Isles won plenty of ball pushing up the ground. Coach Gary Jones led by example, while James Sanford tried hard to gain some ascendency for the Magpies.

PAYNESVILLE continued its winning ways to remain in touch with the top four, accounting for fellow finals aspirant Lakes Entrance 12.18 (90) to 6.5 (41).

Taking an 11-point lead into half-time, the Gulls stepped up in the second half, booting seven goals to two to run out comfortable 49-point victor.

Keith Ritchie continued his good form with six goals, while Ryan Holland, Jason Waddell, Ben Haslam, Jordan Farquhar and Anthony Simpson ensured he had good supply.

Andrew Stevens kicked two goals for Lakes Entrance, while mobile talls Jarrod Matthews and Jesse Beha were again influential for the Seagulls. Adam Lowcock was also impressive on the wing.

WY Yung had the bye.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.