Old Bar Pirates demolish Port City Breakers

FIVE-eighth Kurt Lewis continued on his try scoring way when running in four touchdowns for Old Bar in the 44-28 Group Three Rugby League win over Port City at Port Macquarie.

This is the second successive game Lewis has scored four tries following on from his effort the previous match against Forster-Tuncurry.

It was a good day for the five-eighth as he also kicked six goals.

It was also Old Bar’s third consecutive win.

The Pirates are now outright third and Wauchope’s defeat of Port Macquarie gives Old Bar a bit of a buffer over the Sharks.

The Pirates were simply too fast for the opposition.

Whenever they spread the ball wide, particularly in the first half, they stretched the Port City defence.

Centre Daniel Morris ran in three tries in the first half, showing speed on each occasion.

But the Old Bar forwards did everything asked of them, with second rower Jai Simon in particular playing strongly.

The Breakers had two players sent off by referee Warren Holstein just before fulltime.

Captain-coach Josh Hyde and winger Brad Winzar were both punted by Holstein following a heated moment.

Earlier Old Bar had players in the sin bin for separate incidents.

Winger Brandon Ridgeway was given 10 on halftime, while utility player Corey Wheeler was also given a 10 minute break midway through the second half.

Hyde later admitted his side cannot afford to drop one more game if they are going to play finals football this season.

Old Bar had the match as good as won by midway through the second half when they led 44-10.

Port saved some face in the last 15 minutes when they scored three consolation tries, but they never looked like bridging the gap.

The majority of Old Bar’s first half tries were long distance efforts starting in the opening five minutes when Morris was given space and sprinted clear in a 70 metre effort.

The Breakers replied with a try to winger Winzar and they hit the lead when second rower Adrian Daley crossed and Luke Ackroyd kicked the goal.

But the rest of the half belonged to the Pirates.

Lewis showed strength to post his first try when he pushed through tackles close to the line.

He put in a neat chip kick that was re-gathered by Tom Dooker for Old Bar’s next try.

Morris scored the best individual effort of the match when he again raced clear on the right hand side, kicked and then showed some soccer skills before diving over.

He made it a hat-trick soon after, then just before halftime Lewis danced through tackles to post his second.

The contest was virtually over at halftime with the score at 34-10.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.