Demons united after shock injury

PASS: United’s Teina Lusty looks to pass around Raider Nikki Heffer. PICTURE — Pamela BlackmanSATURDAY’S game between Nyah Nyah West United and Koondrook Barham began on a sour note when United’s goal keeper Louisa Curran took a blow to the head.

Curran was on top form filling in at the goals when her legs were taken out from under her, causing her to fall backwards.

Ambulance officers were called to the scene and Curran was taken to hospital for observation.

She will sit out of next week’s match despite making a full recovery.

“She came out to do an intercept on the edge of the ring and it just happened,” NNW United coach Melissa Snyder said.

“To get an injury like that in goals is pretty unusual. It was a blow because she was having n absolute blinder and playing a fantastic game.”

It is the latest in a series of injuries for the Demons, who despite the fractures and bruises maintained a steady lead against Koondrook Barham from the start.

Under 17s star Mikayla Burge stepped in for the Demons to make up for injuries and played her first A grade game, proving to be one to watch in the years to come.

Snyder said the Demons were going strong despite the setbacks.

“The team’s being doing reasonably well even though we haven’t had consistent goalers,” she said.

“The talent from the other grades filling in is outstanding and it’s good to be able to rely on the other girls.”

After their second quarter blow, the Demons went on to defeat the Raiders 27 to 10 at half-time in a defiant act of resilience.

The Raiders attempted some strong scoring with a further seven points at the third quarter but NNW United went on to inevitably take the lead with 55 to 24.

Snyder said the bruised and battered Demons would have to be in good form next week to take on Tooleybuc Manangatang.

It was Tooleybuc Manangatang who made a distinctive mark on the results eleswhere in the league by squashing the Cohuna Kangas in a merciless game. They took out 20 in each quarter, winning a stunning 86 to 39.

Meanwhile Swan Hill kept up its reputation for maintaining consistent pressure in a tense game with Tyntynder, coming out on top with 51 to 33.

In the closest game of the day, Kerang’s stalwarts defeated Balranald in a close 44 to 37 after holding a tentative lead from the first quarter.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.